Wednesday, July 20, 2011

FIRST DAYS, LAST DAYS AND ALL THE DAYS IN BETWEEN

Working in Brussels
Last night, as I arrived home slightly tipsy after a few drinks with my colleagues, I smiled and thought to myself: it's gone far better than expected, the job thing. I have to admit that, new and surprising as this realisation might seem, Brussels has actually treated me quite well job-wise. Now that things are finally falling into place, I will try to explain why.

I seriously started looking for a job in Brussels at the beginning of February. I wasn't sure what kind of job I wanted but I was positive that the kind of job I didn't want was teaching elementary school English. No more maĆ®tresse. No more wheels on the bus, little ducks who went swimming one day, no more sit down jump up high high high. A new career please, and make it interesting. 

My assets, I figured, were: languages, working experience (even if not in the areas I was aiming at) and enough attitude to win my audience at the interview. My weaknesses: no work experience in the areas I was aiming at and not enough attitude to lie about the latter. With the fierce Brussels competition, I could only start my non-teaching life by doing two things: applying for internships and crossing my fingers. I did both, full time.

After what seemed like ages but was indeed less than two months, I got my first interview and then a second one, on the very same day. The first job I got, the second one - I didn't, but I felt relieved: all I needed was one job, after all. I took it, even though it was an unpaid (yes, by "unpaid" I mean "unpaid" as in "working for free") internship and decided to make the best of it. 

Today, on my last day, which came sooner than expected, I can tell you that it was a good choice. I learned a lot, met some lovely people, and had a very comfy and pleasant plunge into the job market in Brussels. I am now moving on to something which seems more intense, more stressful but slightly more challenging, too. However, I feel sad to leave behind the fantastic work environment (not to say "work in environment", hope some of you will get the pun!) I was lucky to become part of. 

Today is not about my future job. Today is about saying goodbye when you wish you didn't have to.

Today I can't stop thinking that the first day may have been tough, the last day is sad, but... all the days in between were great. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment